Friday, September 14, 2007

Coming to a gallery near you...

I was at dinner last night with a friend of mine, when she started telling me about something she'd seen the other day. Someone had sent her the website for a guy that paints portraits with his penis.

When I got home I naturally Googled "penis painter" and, sure enough, found the website for this self-described "Pricasso". He's an Australian by the name of Tim Patch - a name which, alone, makes me chuckle. His site proclaims he's "The World's Greatest Penile Artist", which of course begs the question of just how many penile artists there actually are.

Art is one of my biggest interests (along with writing, running, and tuna). And I'm always intrigued when I come across things like this - art that isn't notable for its greatness, but more for the novelty of its artist. Admittedly, the idea of covering my genitalia in paint appeals to me in no way. But I'm certainly fascinated by the fact that someone not only did just that, but has made a career of it; and, I take solace in believing the people purchasing his artwork are doing so for the humor value and not because they take it seriously.

This was definitely not the case with some folks I saw recently in a news story about a painting dog. The reporter featured this dog, with a brush in his mouth, banging at a canvas. After that, they proceeded to show a gallery opening in the Hamptons, featuring this dog's "artwork". They interviewed a wealthy art collector who went on and on about how, even though he's a dog, the artist clearly had an eye for color and composition. I believe he purchased one of the paintings for around $4,000.

One day he will learn dogs are red/green colorblind and have 20/80 (read: horribly blurred) vision. Which makes me think that despite covering his genitals in paint, Tim Patch might actually be the wiser.

As an aside, one of Tim's featured portrait is of President Bush. I'm not sure what it is, but there's a seriously funny joke in there somewhere.

Suggestions appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.