Monday, August 18, 2008

The glamorous world of advertising.

When I was in high school, I absolutely loved Melrose Place. Amanda and Courtney worked at D&D Advertising, and it was, like, the coolest thing ever. The pages of a magazine brought to life.

Now that I'm actually in advertising, I'm constantly irritated by the glamour conveyed on television and movies when it comes to representing my profession. I love advertising and can't imagine doing anything else, but it's still nothing close to what's shown on TV. And to illustrate my point I bring you the following...

"My Monday: A Story in 25 Acts"

Wake up at 3:30 after about 3 and a half hours of sleep.

Get to airport by 5am.

Fly to Dallas at 6:30am.

Eat a nasty breakfast at Chili's Too.

Board a plane at 8:30am to fly to Kansas City for a 10:30 meeting.

Take a seat on the last row by the shitter, behind a screaming child.

Get nauseated by the smell of the toilet.

Check out the cute guy across the aisle, and wonder if I could get past the fact he's missing a hand.

Decide I could live with the stub and proceed to flirt.

Bitch about screaming toddler with flight attendant in line to small/smelly lavatory.

Wonder what's going on with the plane.

Get excited the one-hand man is flirting back. (Yes, he was just. that. cute.)

Deplane an hour later due to "computer issues".

Realize we'll be missing the meeting if we try to fly now.

Watch my airplane crush board the next flight without me. *sniff*

Call-in to meeting.

Have an hour-and-a-half long conference call on consumer segmentation at Gate 8, while a creepy man stares at me.

Eat a nasty lunch at same Chili's Too.

Board flight home in a thunderstorm.

Experience heavy turbulence the entire way home.

Convince myself I'm about to die in a plane crash.

Embarrass myself by babbling nonsense to the co-worker seated next to me in a desperate attempt to distract myself from our impending demise.

Land safely and am back in the office at 3pm.

Eat two bags of popcorn for "dinner".

Finish working at 8pm.

-THE END-


Amanda never would have had a day this un-sexy at D&D. That said, she also never would've received an e-mail this awesome from her travel agent.


To: Liz
From: Travel*
Subject: since you had a bad day, hopefully this will make you smile


Here's a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head...enjoy.


*Not his real name.

5 comments:

Amy R. said...

Liz, I am now going to be a faithful reader of your blog after only reading this once. I miss seeing you and your humor.

Amy

Unknown said...

hilarious.

my favorite scene from melrose place, which I still remember fondly, is when heather locklear demands that forget which hot guy it is but whatever, come into her office, NOW! and then they walk in, she slams the door shut, she sweeps everything off her desk, and pulls him on top of her.

I guess you probably haven't had a day like that, recently, either....ok

Anonymous said...

hahaha this is awesome. you're really funny you know that??

hotpinksox said...

I love(d) the travel peeps. (when I traveled, don't get to travel anymore.) I think most people think the ad biz is TV shoots all day every day. Little do they know.....

Anonymous said...

The aerial advertising companies think that airplane messages are incredibly worthwhile. Advertisers might be enchanted with the novelty of having their ad flown over a busy beach or festival.